Two-way radios are there to provide businesses and organisations of all sizes with a convenient and secure means of communication. However, many of our first-time customers are often unsure what type of radios they should purchase. There are many different types of radios, all with different specifications and functions – choosing the right one for your businesses needs is essential.
One of the most common questions we are asked is whether or not they should purchase UHF or VHF radios.
What does UHF or VHF mean? UHF and VHF refers to the frequency in which these radios transmit. UHF stands for Ultra High Frequency and VHF stands for Very High Frequency.
UHF and VHF radios provide different advantages and benefits, knowing which radio type is right for your business depends on your individual circumstances.
UHF Radio Advantages
- Better for indoor use because their wavelengths are shorter and are better at penetrating through steel and concrete.
- UHF radios broadcast at between 300 MHz and 3 GHz.
- VHF radio signals tend to degrade more than UHF signals indoors.
- UHF radios also have shorter antennas than VHF radios, making them a better fit for discreet radio devices or in situations where longer antennas are impractical, such as crowded hallways in schools.
VHF Radio Advantages
- VHF radios broadcast at between 30 MHz and 300 MHz.
- VHF radios are better suited for outdoor use where line of sight or open terrain is involved. If you need communication at a festival or construction site, these are the right radios for you.
- VHF radios are used exclusively in maritime and aviation communications.
When it comes to choosing a UHF or a VHF radio, you need to think carefully about what your specific needs are and then pick the solution that best suits your situation.
Also, be sure to purchase well-regarded brands, as cut-rate brands will often not perform as well. We stock radios from all of the major brands, including:
As a company, Communications Specialists Ltd understand its products and its customer base, and we help our customers to find the right solution for their two-way radio needs.
We are available 24/7 365 days a year, so we are always on hand for support or last-minute urgent orders.